Saturday, October 10, 2009

Two Reasons to Love Malabon

What comes first into your mind when you think of Malabon? Flood. Yep, it is forever a part of the city. But on foodie people like me, Malabon has a share of fame for authentic Pinoy cuisine.

My brother and his family will be visiting us tomorrow and Atcha wants me to buy something they'll take home with. This is sort of a practice in our family, that on every visit, a take-home goodie was always present. So I went to Concepcion, Malabon to buy some Dolor's Sapin Sapin and Quekiam...
I didn't know any Kakanin as good as Dolor's, with their famous native dessert Sapin-Sapin (layer pie made of pasty rice flour, cooked with coconut milk, eggs and milk). Just recently they opened branches in SM malls (Megamall, North Edsa, Sucat, Southmall, Sta. Mesa, Fairview, Manila) and one in Trinoma foodcourt, a good move on catering their ever growing fans of their products from all over the Metro. Not only they sell Sapin-sapin but also on variety of rice cakes, kutsinta, halayang ube, the ever famous Pansit Malabon and others (I heard they're into commercial baking also of pastries). Shelf life is 2-3 days in a ref, but I bet this one won't take long in the fridge once you've tasted it, harharhar!


Very rarely you'll encounter in your near grocery stall this type of Quekiam that is common in markets of Malabon. These are good to eat with the sweet and sour garlic sauce. For the know, Quekiam is a Chinese dish, consisting of ground pork or shrimp and vegetables, wrapped in bean curd, fried to a golden brown. I'm a rice lover so I'd like to have this with yang chow rice, měi wèi de!



You think how lucky our visitors will be on having them? I got envy though, so I bought mine as well ;o).

No comments:

Post a Comment